Wednesday, July 12, 2017

La Nuit et Le Jour

Night - Claude Joseph Vernet
(Source)
As many of you may know, I have been working an odd shift over the past month or so. I was reporting on station at 1130 and then departing the pattern at approximately 2100. I say approximately because if the computer equipment (with its installed combat system software) in the lab was functioning well, we might stay a bit later just to "get 'er done." (So the line goes, I think. One of the guys I'm working with is named Larry, though he's not a cable guy...)

But in general I was there from lunchtime to nighttime. I called the shift "noon to nine," pithy, to the point, and "close enough for government work." (Which it is.) While some nights pushed the 2200 boundary (not that often), I was generally back at Chez Sarge by 2130. (9:30 PM for you civvies.)

So Monday, after a relaxing weekend, I went in at 1130. Now at 1430 we have our daily stand up meeting (where we don't actually stand up). When I strolled into the meeting, I discovered that noon to nine was over, at least for the nonce.

I was pleased, at first, the night time thing was wearing thin on this aging carcass of mine and I was keen to see the daylight after work once again. Then it struck me.

Damn, I have to get up early on Tuesday. While I did have the option of staying on noon to nine for the remainder of this week, I opted out. The lab is no fun when you are by yourself. Both for safety and security reasons.

So up I was yesterday morning, well before the crack of dawn, into the shower and off to work.

Where my aging butt was dragging for most of the day. It takes a bit to re-acclimatize oneself, the older you get, the longer it takes. But as I "ain't that old," I'll be fine. But while casting about for a subject to post about, I discovered this Vernet fellow.

Morning - Claude Joseph Vernet
(Source)
I'm sure I've seen his work before, just not in recent memory. But I am familiar with the work of his son -

Napoleon at the Battle of Borodino - Carle Vernet
(Source)
And his grandson!

The Battle of Valmy - Horace Vernet
(Source)
A talented family!

Midday - Claude Joseph Vernet
(Source)
Evening - Claude Joseph Vernet
(Source)
The Shipwreck - Claude Joseph Vernet
(Source)

That last one, yup, that's how I felt Tuesday at the close of business.

Night and day, if the line between them seems blurry, get thee to bed earlier!



20 comments:

  1. Dad worked shift work as a Texas peace officer. Mornings, Afternoons, Midnights. 7-3, 3-11, 11-7. As I remember, they rolled backward. if you were on 7-3, the next time change, you went to midnights. He managed that for over 20 years, and then they added a swing shift in the late 70's, 7pm to 3am.... That just about killed him. I'm about the same age he was then, and I know I'd have a difficult time doing that.

    Hopefully, you'll snap back quick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already feel back to what approaches normal. Howsoever one might define what "normal" means.

      (While I don't like to get up early, I do like being home before sundown.)

      Delete
  2. Three generations of painters- that has to be if not unique, at least unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was when I worked swing shifts, in the '60s and again in the late '80s, that I determined there is no such thinh as normal.
    Life continues to reinforce that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My experience is similar. Normal has more to do with consistency than anything else.

      Last week I had three days off during the week, that's only "normal" around Independence Day and Thanksgiving. The rest of the year, that ain't normal. I'm looking forward to my next "normal," retirement. Where every day is a weekend!

      Delete
    2. There are no weekends in retirement.
      It's just different.

      Delete
    3. Well, as the concept week is different, then there would be no "weekend" per se.

      I don't quite get it, but I'm keen to try!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the post.

    By the way, what day of the week is it?

    Paul L. Quandt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul - Written Tuesday evening to publish on Wednesday morning. Time travel, it's confusing.

      Delete
  5. Wow! I really, really NEED some YUUGE prints of those paintings. Thanks for posting those!

    https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/47548/acquainted-with-the-night

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those paintings.

      And I loves me some Robert Frost as well! Thank you for that!

      Delete
  6. The lightening bolt in The Shipwreck really catches my eye. Helps draw the viewer to the port, safe from the storm but sadly too far for the unfortunate crew and passengers in the foreground.

    /
    L.J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That painting had nothing to do with the original post, but I liked it so much that I wanted to include it.

      It does capture how I felt Tuesday after work.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.